Monday, February 1, 2010

Finger-Wagging

Work is an unnerving place. That is my word today--unnerving. Typically I decide not to write about it because it only solidfies that fact that I do, indeed, go to work and actually am very unproductive. I did the whole coffee, muffin, "Look at me, I'm a commuter and am important" kind of thing but that always comes to naught when my stomach problems begin to kick in.

This cubicle sucks. The desk is like a kidney bean and I constantly have to re-adjust the computer screen and the keyboard and the chair because it isn't realy my cubicle, I share it with other tutors, but at least my screensaver is always intact. Thanks screen-saver, whoever you are. Anyway, the point of that was it really hurts my wrists because it is not ergonmoically sound, this cubicle that is.

Additionally, I go to sit on the couch, this big orange thing that looks like it was stolen from SNICK (Saturday Night Nickelodeon), and this asshole who also happens to work where I work is sitting there all smug and with his crossword, and then a girl sits down, who I also work with and he starts talking to her about books and why anyone would buy books today and why not just have a Kindle. Fuck you! This is where I said 'FUCK YOU' in caps, in my head just like that. I really hate kindle for a variety of reasons.

One, I am a "writer" which means that the book industry is the most viable industry for anything my head poops onto paper. Books are the most obvious vehicle for this medium, DUH! Secondly, you cannot annotate on Kindle, or dog-ear, or have a really cool fancy bookmark that makes you appear learned. Third, books are tangible, they have a smell to them, a feel, they allow for contact, they look nice on a shelf, or a coffee table with coffee mug ring marks on their covers, or their missing jackets. Books are what allow for libraries, for quiet wandering, reasons to go the park, reasons to start conversation (granted you can do this Kindle or not), you can lend them to people like lending out swatches of your blood type so people know what kind of person you are even though it may not be a book you wrote. You get the idea. There are many more reasons and I could go further into depth but I have to go back to the couch to wait for a student that I will not have and now having said that I will get a student and I will tell them how much I hate kindle and am genuinely interested in their writng.

Mostly, I just wanted to write this because that dude is an asshole and I had to leave the couch because his asshole aura was wafting my way and I needed to retreat to my cubicle to write this and my wrists hurt a whole lot now and I hate reading in my cubicle because it is dark, and grey, and the chairs are also lacking in ergonomics (that word is too big for me to comprehend).

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant,

    I think one of the best defenses of books I have read in this time of diversion and distraction.

    JBG

    ReplyDelete